Friday, April 24, 2009

Beauty and the Beast is More Beautiful on Broadway

The first show I ever saw on Broadway was when I was in Kindergarten in New York City with my Dad and Grama. I was so amazed. It all seemed so magical to me. The lights, the music, the sets, and the costumes. I was in awe over everything that was going on on stage, and Belle was so pretty. I wanted to be her. She was so lucky, dancing up there on stage, singing along, and falling in love. I had seen the Disney movie when I was little, so the play just seemed bigger and better to me. Yes somethings were different, but looking back at it now, they had to change to be able to entice the theatergoers.

In adapting the film to the stage, Linda Woolverton (also one of the film's
writers) instituted a number of key changes: Just about every character was
given more depth (the Beast is more threatening and sympathetic; Belle, the
beauty of the title who strays into his clutches, is more determined and
headstrong), and, perhaps most importantly, the story's panoply of talking
knick-knacks were no longer servants who had been enchanted into teapots,
armoires, clocks, and so on as the result of an enchantress's spell - now, they
were gradually becoming these things.

Although I have dissed other Disney movies that have become plays. This one is different. I am a little biased because this was the first play I had ever seen, and then obviously the first Disney movie to play that I had seen. I felt that back when this play came out in 1991 the producers were a little more careful not to have the movie and the play exactly the same. I also felt that they took more time to look into developing characters, which is something that is very important for plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment